Starting Your Child Off on the Right Tooth: Pediatric Dental Care
The quality of dental care a child receives while growing up can have a huge impact on their teeth — and even their general health — for the rest of their life. Dental care sets the stage for the way teeth develop as they grow, and it’s important to begin with a good foundation. To reinforce healthy brushing habits with children and make sure their teeth are coming in nicely, we recommend visiting the dentist early, with a first visit at about twelve months of age, which is usually less than six months after their first tooth shows up.
At Shreveport Dental Solutions, we offer pediatric dentistry to treat smiles at any age—and we offer a dental savings plan for those without insurance where you pay one low monthly premium and get 20% off all services. Don’t skip out on your child’s dental care and keep reading to see the value of taking your children to the dentist early in their lives:
Baby Teeth Are Important
Your child’s baby teeth aren’t disposable just because they’re temporary. They play an important role in your child’s development. Making sure their baby teeth are in order will have a positive effect long after they lose them. Baby teeth act as placeholders for adult teeth; they help your child’s jaw and gums develop in the right way. Not only that, healthy baby teeth help children learn to speak by supporting the shape of the mouth correctly. And a dazzling smile is good for their self-esteem.
Experience Calms Anxiety
Many grownups feel anxious about going to the dentist. However, if you bring your children in for a visit at about the age of twelve months, they’ll be too young to think anything bad is going on and they won’t likely be very worried. One of the best ways to help children avoid the development of dental anxiety is to begin building a habit of regular dental visits early in life. Parents who wait until their children are two years of age or older likely will have a much rougher time with visits at early ages, and the children could develop lifelong anxiety about going to the dentist.
Tooth Decay Comes Early
Tooth decay can set in as soon as your child develops their first tooth. A CDC report showed that as many as 40% of children will develop some form of tooth decay before they reach kindergarten. And that decay can have a long-term effect on the health of their teeth and gums.
Nip Problems in the Bud
After children have stopped growing, it can be difficult to get crooked teeth back in order. The process is likely to be more difficult, longer and more uncomfortable for the patient than if the problems are taken care of early in life. That’s why there’s no better time to fix misaligned or crooked teeth than when your child is still growing. As soon as their teeth show signs of these problems, we can begin early to guide their teeth into the correct position.
Giving your child’s teeth the care they deserve sets them up for dental success in the future by introducing good dental hygiene habits and preventing problems from getting worse as their teeth age. If you have any questions about how to give your child the best dental care possible or would like to set up an appointment, give us a call at 318-869-2593. Begin proper dental care as soon as your child’s first tooth shows up and you’ll put them on the road to a healthy, beautiful smile all their lives.
Are Dental Savings Plans Worth It?
Going to the dentist can be a daunting task, especially if you don’t have dental insurance or your insurance isn’t in-network for a certain clinic. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get regular dental care. Many dental offices offer dental savings plans, sometimes referred to as membership plans, for those who don’t have insurance.
Signing up for a membership plan with your dental care provider can help make sure you get the dental care you need- even without insurance! Keep reading to learn more about dental savings plans or visit our Shreveport Dental Savings Plan page for specifics on our plan.
What Are Dental Savings Plans?
Dental savings plans are membership-based discount plans for dental health care. These plans are a great alternative to dental insurance, and plan members typically save between 10-20% on the regular price of dental care and treatments. We offer a 20% discount on all services except full mouth implants. By joining a dental savings plan, you gain member access only to discounts that participating dental care providers have agreed upon. You pay the discounted rate directly to the dentist—no insurance needed!
What Do Dental Savings Plans Cover?
This all depends on the practice, but typically they cover the following:
- Cosmetic dentistry — veneers, Invisalign®, teeth whitening, smile makeovers, and more
- Restorative dental care — tooth extractions, dental implants, wisdom teeth removal, and more
- Preventative dental care — teeth cleanings, TMJ disorder treatment, pediatric dentistry, and more
Talk with your dental office to see what they provide with their membership plan.
Choosing a Dental Savings Plan That’s Right For You
One big plus of having a dental savings plan is that you have options. Simply by searching for the following, you can choose a plan that’s right for you:
- By savings: Choose the plan that has the best overall savings
- By dentist: Choose the plan that your dentist accepts
- By procedure: Choose the plan you want based on your dental care needs.
The value of your dental savings plan depends on your unique oral health needs. Dental savings plans are a good choice for people who want to save money on routine dental care and don’t need extensive coverage. Our dental savings plan is available for only $11 / month for individuals and $17.50 / month for families.
Here at Shreveport Dental Solutions, we want to make sure everyone has the option to get dental care. That’s why our dental savings plan can help you have peace of mind when you come to the dentist. To find out more about our membership plan, give us a call at 318-869-2593. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t get the dental care you deserve.
I Haven’t Been To The Dentist In Years: What To Expect At Your Dental Visit
We get it—there are many reasons why people skip out on visiting their dentist for their regular teeth cleanings. Concerns of cost, fear of the dentist, shame of your dental health, or life simply being busy are all common reasons people skip going to the dentist.
But, it’s important to remember that there is absolutely no shame if you haven’t been to the dentist in one year or ten! At Shreveport Dental Solutions, rest assured that your visit will be judgment and pain-free—and there are numerous flexible financing options available. We’re here to help you get the dental care you need while offering affordability and comfort.
What To Expect
- Welcoming and Understanding. We know that there are a variety of reasons you might have skipped your dental visits but we’re here to help with nothing but support and understanding for your unique needs. Be open and honest–don’t hesitate to tell us about any anxieties or concerns you have; the more we know, the better we can help you.
- Get to Know You. We will sit down and discuss your medical and dental history before getting started on any treatment along with any concerns you have about your dental health or visiting the dentist in general.
- X-rays and Potential Diagnostics. We will take X-rays to have a clear picture of your teeth and jawbone. We may also test your gum depth measurements to identify if gum disease is present.
- Teeth Cleaning and Polishing. Your hygienist will professionally clean your teeth, removing plaque, tartar, and surface-level stains.
- Examination and Treatment Plan Discussion. After your X-rays and cleaning, your doctor will complete a comprehensive examination, checking your teeth, gums, bite, and even your tongue and throat for signs of oral cancer. Based on your exam, your doctor will discuss any needed or optional treatment options. This might involve fillings, crowns, root canals, or even gum disease treatment. Please feel free to ask any questions or share any concerns.
- Personalized Home Care Guidance. We will also share some personalized advice on maintaining good oral hygiene at home. Remember, consistent home care is key to preventing future dental problems.
- Scheduling Your Next Appointment. Before you go, we will schedule your next appointment for a routine checkup. Follow-up appointments are typically scheduled 6 months out but it could be sooner than that if you have gum disease present. Sticking to regular dental visits is crucial for maintaining good oral health and preventing future problems.
Come Visit Us Today
Taking that first step back into the dentist’s office after a long break can be nerve-wracking, but remember, it’s an investment in your health and well-being.
At Shreveport Dental Solutions, you matter most. Come visit us today, no matter how long it’s been, to get set on a path to a healthy, confident smile.Call Shreveport Dental Solutions