I Haven’t Been To The Dentist In Years: What To Expect At Your Dental Visit
We get it—there are many reasons why people skip out on visiting their dentist for their regular teeth cleanings. Concerns of cost, fear of the dentist, shame of your dental health, or life simply being busy are all common reasons people skip going to the dentist.
But, it’s important to remember that there is absolutely no shame if you haven’t been to the dentist in one year or ten! At Shreveport Dental Solutions, rest assured that your visit will be judgment and pain-free—and there are numerous flexible financing options available. We’re here to help you get the dental care you need while offering affordability and comfort.
What To Expect
- Welcoming and Understanding. We know that there are a variety of reasons you might have skipped your dental visits but we’re here to help with nothing but support and understanding for your unique needs. Be open and honest–don’t hesitate to tell us about any anxieties or concerns you have; the more we know, the better we can help you.
- Get to Know You. We will sit down and discuss your medical and dental history before getting started on any treatment along with any concerns you have about your dental health or visiting the dentist in general.
- X-rays and Potential Diagnostics. We will take X-rays to have a clear picture of your teeth and jawbone. We may also test your gum depth measurements to identify if gum disease is present.
- Teeth Cleaning and Polishing. Your hygienist will professionally clean your teeth, removing plaque, tartar, and surface-level stains.
- Examination and Treatment Plan Discussion. After your X-rays and cleaning, your doctor will complete a comprehensive examination, checking your teeth, gums, bite, and even your tongue and throat for signs of oral cancer. Based on your exam, your doctor will discuss any needed or optional treatment options. This might involve fillings, crowns, root canals, or even gum disease treatment. Please feel free to ask any questions or share any concerns.
- Personalized Home Care Guidance. We will also share some personalized advice on maintaining good oral hygiene at home. Remember, consistent home care is key to preventing future dental problems.
- Scheduling Your Next Appointment. Before you go, we will schedule your next appointment for a routine checkup. Follow-up appointments are typically scheduled 6 months out but it could be sooner than that if you have gum disease present. Sticking to regular dental visits is crucial for maintaining good oral health and preventing future problems.
Come Visit Us Today
Taking that first step back into the dentist’s office after a long break can be nerve-wracking, but remember, it’s an investment in your health and well-being.
At Shreveport Dental Solutions, you matter most. Come visit us today, no matter how long it’s been, to get set on a path to a healthy, confident smile.Call Shreveport Dental Solutions